Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Are you really put everyting on your career? Work...

Right now I feel I have this communication with several people in several layers. No, the post is not about you even though it touches the subject. This week I just dedicate the blog to the most common things that are pretty good sign that you are not putting everything on your career.

I get so many times that people are really serious about their careers. They are doing everything to get a spot with the stars. They are really putting everything on it. They want to know how to get to "the next step".
At least that is what they say.

Work! This is where many fail in the beginning. You manage to get a gig in another town. It's not the hottest gig but ok. The payment is ok but is not pay any rent or anything. But any gig is needed, also the artist has been nagging about getting more gigs and be able to been seen in front of more people. Also, all gig is part of a story around the artist. You present that for the artist.

Suddenly that gig is not that important. They have trouble to get off work. It's fast away and not cool enough. They could take it another week or if it was closer.

When your work is going before your opportunities, your career is not first, it's your job that is first. This I meet a lot. Artist gets a pretty nice well paying job and the opportunities are sorted around the job.

You know what, I always took my jobs in second hand to be in my position that I'm in today. Yes, I have burnt many bridges and many of my old bosses would not recommend me in any way. Just because I put everything in my career in the music industry. Not as an artist but behind the scene. I can't count all the times I have said no to things or called in myself sick just to be on that festival or that showcase that propelled me forward. And Yes I expect the artist to do the same if they are serious with their career.

You just have to make things work and put your career first. that is the only thing that is the right. You cant be a hard-working artist and have a nice job on the side. Not even if it is a job with music connections for the government. You won't be able to combine the both you have to choose.

When you hear that their regular job is in the way for an opportunity you know they are not putting their career first. This is mostly shown when they can get time off for something they think is cool but not for the regular stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment